These matcha blondies (or greenies) are so fudgy – an absolute dream texture!
It may be hard to believe but some people just don’t like chocolate! Blondies are an excellent alternative to brownies, as they are essentially brownies without the chocolate (not counting white chocolate of course!).
As always, I like to mix things up a bit and decided to incorporate matcha into my blondies recipe. Now if you love matcha you will really appreciate the intense flavour (yes, I used 4 packed teaspoons of a premium grade matcha!). The bitterness from the matcha balances out the sweetness from the sugar in the recipe, so the final taste is not overly sweet as some traditional blondies are.
The texture is incredibly moist and fudgy which is how I wanted it to be! When stored well, wrapped in aluminum, the blondies (or greenies as I like to say!) actually maintain their amazing texture for a good 3 days – and perhaps longer but I couldn’t last that long!
I also highly recommend using premium grade matcha. Guys: the difference between the “cheaper” matcha and the premium grade stuff is REAL. It wasn’t until I had the opportunity to try the premium matcha that I realised what I had been missing! First the colour is a much brighter green, already just from looking at it you can see it’s awesome. Second the flavour is way more intense, a real deep matcha flavour. Definitely, try and get some for these greenies if you can!!
|RECIPE (makes 9 or 16 blondies):|
115g white chocolate
4tsps matcha powder (premium grade if possible) + 1tsp for sprinkling
175g white sugar
60g light brown sugar
3 eggs room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp fleur de sel
1. Preheat the oven to 175C degrees. Line an 8×8 square baking pan with baking paper, making sure that the baking paper is overhanging from the sides (it will be easier to lift out the blondie bake this way when they’re done).
2. Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan and remove from heat once the butter is brown and you start seeing brown particles at the bottom of the pan.
3. In a bowl, mix 4 tsps of matcha powder with the white chocolate and then pour the brown butter over the mixture. Stir until the chocolate is fully melted.
4. Using an electric mixer, in a bowl whisk together the sugars, eggs, vanilla and salt until the mixture is thick and creamy.
5. Gradually pour in the matcha chocolate mixture and continue to whisk until the batter is fully combined.
6. Fold the flour delicately into the batter using a rubber spatula (do not whisk).
7. Pour the batter into your prepared baking pan and bake in the oven first for 20 minutes. Once the 20 minutes is up, take out the blondie bake tray and tap it on the table to let some of the air out. Sprinkle with fleur de sel and bake for another 12/13 minutes.
8. Lift out the the blondie bake using the overhanging baking paper and allow it to cool on a rack for 15 minutes before cutting it up into squares. Sprinkle the blondies with 1 teaspoon of matcha powder and they are ready!
Did you try out this recipe? Any questions? Any feedback? Would love to hear from you!
Keep up with my latest Instagram posts by following @dessertsbyine!